Thursday 23 March 2017

Dare seize the fire

Daily Draw: Margarete Petersen Tarot, Seven of Flames

I dreamt of a tiger and lo she appears. If a tiger appears as a guide it can be interpreted as a prompt to develop the qualities associated with this animal. Those attributes of free will, strength and self-expression figure in Petersen's interpretation of this card which urges us to realise our own needs and desires. This involves taking responsibility for our own emotions but not those of others. 

The seven of wands is sometimes described as the price we pay for the triumph in the six. Yet it is possible to experience the onslaught of the seven without having knowingly been in the six. When it seems that no matter how small we make ourselves others cannot accept the mere fact of our being. This is when we need to rekindle the fire of our unique purpose, power and energy. As Marie White has written 


'the tiger is all you, ALL you, without judgment or pretence, nothing purged or watered down, tamed or humbled' 

This means not being a victim of circumstance and tearing up patterns of self-restriction that we may have imposed on ourselves. 

The tiger heals quickly both emotionally and physically. She has to in order to survive. With humans it is not so life or death. Or is it? I wonder what limits I can burn free of today. 


Tyger Tyger, burning bright, 
In the forests of the night; 
What immortal hand or eye, 
Could frame thy fearful symmetry? 

In what distant deeps or skies. 
Burnt the fire of thine eyes? 
On what wings dare he aspire? 
What the hand, dare seize the fire? 

And what shoulder, & what art, 
Could twist the sinews of thy heart? 
And when thy heart began to beat, 
What dread hand? & what dread feet? 

What the hammer? what the chain, 
In what furnace was thy brain? 
What the anvil? what dread grasp, 
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

William Bake

9 comments:

  1. I once used the word victim in a draw, surprised and embarrassed me. But on some levels I was.I could have used the last paragraph on my own blog today...In what furnace was they brain? I heard that fairly often growing up...where is your brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used it unthinkingly. Reminds me my writing is an approximation rather than direct expression of what I think.

      That's one of the best lines in the poem :)

      Delete
  2. This woman looks like someone who would not let other people rain on her parade or squash her ideas (especially because she's a woman). Love her fierceness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or if does rain set fire to it. I love it too!

      Delete
  3. "I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
    Dancing through the fire
    Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a great quote to use -wish I'd thought of that!

      Delete
  4. The tiger has all but disappeared from all of its home ranges; mostly to found in cages. Let your dreams run free lest you to be caged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never understand why people would want to cage something so beautiful and wild.

      Delete