Tuesday 30 August 2016

First step

Daily Draw: Golden Tarot, Two of Swords

The crossed swords point to a rock and hard place with the woman in between.  As the new term approaches, this reminds me that my responses to over work are really unhealthy. Over eating, over caffeine, over smoking, over shopping, over anxious.  

The ripples in the card suggest the possibility of a third more healthy space of mindfulness. Each ripple offering a subtly different perspective until the mind is still. 

I've been putting off meditation class because I'm not very good at it. Or rather the voice of my inner Gremlin doesn't want me to be good at it. 

Working with a fine art deck tells me to go easier on myself. Who on earth could paint like an old master after one art lesson? So it is with meditation. It takes practice. With that thought in mind I'm going tonight...

Half an hour's meditation each day is essential, except when you are busy. Then a full hour is needed. 

Saint Francis de Sales, 1567-1622. 







4 comments:

  1. If you were to walk into a gym (after buying a membership) and found no weights or exercise machines, you'd want your money back, right? Look at meditation in the same way; the point isn't to get rid of thoughts but to observe them then let them go. They are your equipment used for training the mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it as a workout for the mind before. Going to accept I'm a bit (a lot) 'out of shape' but commit to getting fitter. :)

      Delete
  2. Last two days I have meditated for only ten minutes. But I did it and it made me proud: baby steps!
    Ripples Maybe over work is the pebble in the pound and every reaction to it are the ripples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something to be proud of. More than some people do in a year.

      Delete