Wednesday 1 February 2017

Catkins

Daily Draw; Victorian Fairy Tarot, Two of Spring

Here we see a fairy lady immersed in sketching the first Birch tree catkins of Spring. In time the soft catkins will disperse their pollen upon the zephyrs of Spring advancing the seasons growth. This reminded me of how language pollinates itself. Travelling, finding fertile ground, travelling further still. 

Catkins being such a great word I looked up the etymology. Apparently the origin is late sixteenth century from the Dutch 'katteken' (kitten) because of the fronds' resemblance to kitten's tails. 

The use of the word in books in English peaked around 1800 and again around 1900. Since then it has been in steady decline - usage in 2000 was at the lowest level since 1796. It's a shame. I'm going to try and sneak it in to at least three conversations over the next few weeks and hope it flies...

In warm weather both leaves and catkins exhale a delicious aromatic perfume

Leopold Hartley Grindon,  (1859) The Manchester Flora: A Companion to Walks and Wild Flowers, London: William White. 






9 comments:

  1. We actually call them "kittens" now :)
    This card reminds me to pick up my sketchbook one day soon to find out if I can still draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping for your input!... the web site said katteken obsolete but not what had replaced it...

      Sketch and share the results? Seeing the paintings you posted last year was a real treat :)

      Delete
    2. Maybe, I am a bit anxious what effect the increased nerve damage in my hand will have on my drawing skills. Writing in longhand has become more difficult too

      Delete
    3. Sorry I am bossy when I see talent... take care

      Delete
  2. First the dictionary went extinct, then language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing a fair job of revivifying it... I am hopeful :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, thanks for the background on the origin of 'catkins.' I love that kind of information. :) We have them on a lot of trees here, including river birch, pecan, black willow, hickory and several oaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so little about the trees round here and there are loads of them! Must get out more this Spring! Lucky you having pecans close by....

      Delete
    2. The folklore here says that when the pecan trees have flowered, spring has officially arrived and annuals can be planted. :)

      Delete