Friday 20 October 2017

Religion and magic

Daily Draw: Earthly Souls and Spirits Oracle, Devoted

This card reminds me that I don't have a regular (or indeed irregular) spiritual devotional practice. I've been thinking setting up an altar in my study but it seems so daunting. What if I get it wrong and and invoke a whole load of unintended effects? 

Perhaps this concern with rightness of ritual stems from my Catholic upbringing. There is a saying that you never stop being a Catholic you can only be a lapsed one. According to catholicbridge.com if you are serious about leaving you have write them a letter. I wonder how many people have omitted to do that? 

Nevertheless the Vatican advises 'It remains clear, in any event, that the sacramental bond of belonging to the Body of Christ that is the Church, conferred by the baptismal character, is an ontological and permanent bond which is not lost by any reason or fact of defection.' 

That I am stirred by the Benedictus (partly based on the Latin mass) reminds me of my love of church music. As in the card I used to love lighting a candle in prayer. Maybe I'll pop into a church again one day...


Magic, like poetry, resists precise definition; and in particular its connexion with religion is perplexing. There would appear to be no religion without magic at its foundation and certainly there is no magic in any significant sense without deep roots in religion. 

E. M. Butler

9 comments:

  1. I've been a member of a progressive Christian book club for quite some time even though I'd identify as Buddhist and haven't been to church in about 20 years. There's still parts of the faith that resonate with me. With an altar, I would think that a sincere intention would far outweigh any rules of rightness.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your comment reminds me that spiritual identities are less constrained and more fluid and personalised now... we have more choices about who and how to be. Perhaps I've been a bit stuck in the past in old dualisms. I think what I definitely miss is the feeling of being in a sacred space and sharing those values that resonate in community.

      Delete
    2. Community is exactly why I stay in the book club.😊

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your post. I was raised Catholic and I do not identify with the practice or doctrines for more than 40 years. Your reminder of lighting a candle was/is something I can identify with. Something about the wisps of smoke carrying our prayers. As for your altar, go to any Church and the altars will be different. Each priest or any sects of religion will have their own personal arrangements, as you should. I don't think there is any wrong way, do what feels right and lovely. I received a lovely feather from Bev and it now holds a place on my altar. Enjoy the process of a sacred place just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ' do what feels right and lovely' perfect, thank you!

      Delete
  3. I can relate to the pull of Christianity and the deep rooted fear of being wrong. For now I've decided to believe that however I experience and revere the Divine is okay with God/dess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is wise...going gently may bring us closer to the essence of the divine than a whole load of rules and book learning...

      Delete
  4. I have a naturescape set up. an alter means worship to me. My naturescape means appreciation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A naturescape sounds lovely. My room has quite a natural energy with an implied appreciation of the sea. You've given me some inspritaion....Perhaps some driftwood for the hearth and a couple of log candle holders...

      Delete