Monday 30 October 2017

movement which heals

Daily Draw: The Goddess Tarot, Rhiannon/Movement

Rhiannon is accompanied by three magical birds from the Happy Otherworld. According to Waldherr their song was believed to be so powerful as to 'lull the living to death, restore the dead to life and heal all sorrow'. 

I like the re-envisioning of the chariot as movement which heals or healing through movement. I prefer this image of graceful movement to renditions emphasising thundering, disorientating speed or those which are curiously static.  

The meaning offered by the guidebook is of smooth transition into the next phase of life as if we are pulled by the forces of fate and fortune. This reminds me that some of the best, most healing transitions I have made have been when someone has kindly showed up to cheer me on or even walk part of the journey with me. I am grateful for that. 




9 comments:

  1. I find this Chariot card interesting. Most tarot Chariots are charging toward us. Here in this rendition there is powerful movement but not in an aggressive manor; as you said graceful movement versus the thundering disorientation. Nice take on this card and thank you for pointing out an easy go of this Chariot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right this movement feels powerful and sustainable.

      Delete
  2. I like the change of name too. :) When I am in a blue funk, taking a walk, doing some yoga stretches or even a shimmy to some music can help me move out of it.
    I've often wondered if the early tarot makers drew their idea for this card from this verse in the Katha Upanishad:

    "Know the Self as lord of the chariot,
    The body as the chariot itself,
    The discriminating intellect as
    The charioteer, and the mind as the reins.
    The senses, say the wise, are the horses;
    Selfish desires are the roads they travel.
    When the Self is confused with the body,
    Mind, and senses, they point out, he seems
    To enjoy pleasure and suffer sorrow.
    When a person lacks discrimination
    And his mind is undisciplined, his senses
    Run hither and thither like wild horses.
    But they obey the rein like trained horses
    When a person has discrimination
    And the mind is one-pointed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you for sharing this verse. Getting tingles...there's enough here for years of chariot card interpretations.

      Delete
    2. PS yes I like the change of name too. Movement seems a broader category with more possibilities :)

      Delete
  3. Wonder what the laundress thought about those big cloaks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D not printable. She must have breathed a sigh at the launch of the winter collections...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card! What a difference compared to the RW charioteer who is poured in concrete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't much connect with the concrete original. I love this deck. Such a beautiful energy. 💕✨💕

      Delete