Sunday 24 December 2017

Attainment

Today's Draw: The Hermit, Pam's Vintage Tarot

In 2018 The Hermit is my year card as well as my soul and personality card. Once, twice, three times a hermit...hmmm. According to Waite the Hermit is not about 'occult isolation'. I believe this means not hoarding and hiding special knowledge for fear of critique, contestation or even combination with other knowledges.

The hermit is a wayfarer, one who goes ahead. In my line of work it is important to seek new insights. Less positively always being ahead can become pathological. If the insights gleaned are never shared one may as well be a laggard. 

As Waite states the way Hermit holds up 'his beacon on an eminence' suggesting that this card is about 'attainment'. For me that will require intellectual exchange not stockpiling. 

I've been pondering my word for 2018 - perhaps this is it. 

6 comments:

  1. In 12 Step meeting rooms, there is a phrase often found: "When someone reaches out a hand for help, I want a hand to always be there." I see the Hermit in this saying. He/she looks for insight and then holds out the light for others (rather than beating them over the head with it). He seems to say, "If you want it, you can find it freely given here."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You describe the best kind of co-learner or mentor. It is often a real skill to notice when someone is reaching out and respond at exactly the right moment. I am grateful to those who have done that for me.

      Delete
  2. Happy Christmas. Don't go into seclusion yet, enjoy the Season of Blessings.
    I have chosen Unburdened for 2018. I belief the Hermit would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas dear. Unburdened is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good yule to you and yours, I'm so glad we've met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Wishing you and yours a lovely day :)

      Delete