Sunday 3 December 2017

curious

Today's Draw: Pam's Vintage Tarot, The Hermit

I have never quite bonded with my 'Original Rider Waite'. Maybe as I'm of the generation that has been quite spoilt by the plethora of decks available. Or something to do with the production of old images on very new looking card stock. I felt this a pity as the RWS contains colours and symbols with very specific meanings that modern decks often overlook. 

So treated myself to this limited edition based on scans of a first edition and including an extra ten cards with illustrations by Pamela Colman Smith. This bridge sized version feels far more mysterious and magical with muted colours on semi-matte linen stock. I can imagine finding it in a dusty corner of an antiquarian bookstore down a cobbled alley. A happy form of pretence which fits with the curious original meaning attributed to the card. 

6 comments:

  1. The RWS always feels like a homecoming to me, as it is the deck I invested much time and energy in to learn tarot. This aged version is lovely; I can totally relate to the dissonance of having an 'old' deck that has a glossy lamination. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time investment certainly paid off :) I can envisage this being my ‘study deck’. So pleased with it.

      Delete
  2. Smith was also a background scene painter and that is where the horizon line comes from in many of the cards.
    I'm working with my most difficult deck this week. Complicated cards, very few marked, plus extra cards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t made that connection with the horizon line although I read this week her work in theatre may account for the rather fancy costumes in the deck. Looking forward to your work with the Shakespeare. I’ve been mulling that one...

      Delete
  3. The Rider Waite-Smith will always be my 'go to'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a penny drop as I’ve noticed the RWS you are working with this week (US games?) is different to the one I have. Yours has more authentic looking tones and shades compared with mine which has harsh blocks of colour and straight rather than slightly wobbly lines. I guess I got a duff version...

      Delete