Friday 2 September 2016

Competing wands

Daily Draw: Golden Tarot, Two of Wands


The choice card. Kat Black writes that there is a sense of dissatisfaction and yearning in this card. The merchant holding unfulfilled dreams in his hand. 

The discarded 'idea' on the wall reminds me that teaching and research are competing wands in my institution when they should be complementary. 

I came into this profession because I wanted to be a 'merchant of ideas'. Without research I have nothing to 'sell' but second hand junk. Time to pick up that wand. 


In the case of sociology however, we are always walking on hot coals, and the things we discuss are alive, they're not dead and buried.

Pierre Bourdieu, 1930-2002










3 comments:

  1. When I see that wand stuck on the wall, I think of the status quo and my comfort zone. Same old, same old. It can be scary to move away from that into the unknown sometimes, but it can also be an adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is scary to leave the castle all together. Maybe if we just pick up the two wands, we can start Nordic walking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the 'castle' pays my salary. I like the Nordic walking analogy :)

      Delete